06 January 2006

A Poem for Epiphany


The Camel

Lord,
do not be displeased.
There is something to be said for pride
against thirst, mirages,
and sandstorms;
and I must say
that, to face and rise above
these arid desert dramas,
two humps
are not too many,
nor an arrogant lip.
Some people criticize
my four flat feet,
the base of my pile of joints,
but what should I do
with high heels
crossing so much country,
such shifting dreams,
while upholding my dignity?
My heart wrung
by the cries of jackals and hyenas,
by the burning silence,
the magnitude of Your cold stars,
I give You thanks, Lord,
for this my realm,
wide as my longings
and the passage of my steps.
Carrying my royalty
in the aristocratic curve of my neck
from oasis to oasis,
one day shall I find again
the caravan of the magi?
And the gates of Your paradise?
Amen.

~ Carmen Bernos de Gasztold ~
from
The Creatures’ Choir

2 comments:

Administrator said...

This is one of my favorite poems. Carmen Bernos de Gasztold lived in a cloister in France after WWII. They found her poems in a kitchen drawer. Some reviewer or potential publisher sniffed at them saying that "anyone" could have written them. Jerk.

Administrator said...

Hey, Floyd!
How gauche it?