26 October 2005

Midweek makeup bird blog

Slate colored junco
illustration by Allan Brooks (no relation to Bobo)

Good thing this isn't a retail store. Thank you for your patience. Shall we print up a button or bumper sticker "I'd rather be blogging"? Cap'n Midnight over on Watertiger's blog a while back gave me permission to print his, "You can never be too rich or morally thin" after a David Brooks column on - what was it? - oh, some disdainful firecracker (a dud) about "liberals". Bobo had described an argument as "morally thin". David Brooks would love to be a liberal because it is so much more fun. It must be difficult to perform those reasoning contortions he does twice a week. Already I'm off topic in my own blog.

OK. Here goes. Makeup birdblogging. The juncos are back in numbers. Two nights ago the late evening sky was slate colored like the bird. Clouds were steely, and the air felt frosty. We haven't had a hard freeze yet, and that's a good thing, Martha, because I still have tomatoes and eggplants on the vine.

This morning I was coaxing Arthur the Welsh Corgi (who is working on setting up his own blog, if I may presume to blog whore for him) to go outside, and there was a commotion in the back yard. Down swooped a hawk, two white stripes on the tail. He was hoping to have junco for breakfast. The blue jays went nuts, and all the breakfast-sized birds flew into the denser trees and evergreen bushes.

Last night Jelly Bean (JB), a cat who agrees to eat and sleep here and let me pay his medical bills, brought me a mouse. Dead, of course. It was sitting on the back door mat. I thanked him with true sincerity, because it is a great compliment to receive such a prize. Mr. Hawk would be very interested in the local rodents, too.

Arthur decided to take a walk this morning, because it is garbage day, not unlike pay day for humans. He didn't have his collar on, so I had to follow along. I'm a bit surprised the police didn't show up to arrest an unleashed dog walking around the block. The neighbors are old and very particular. One cannot, for example, park one's car in a driveway overnight. It must be kept in a garage. The craziest neighbor saw us out walking and stood in the street and stared, glowering. There is no regulation against walking (yet). I walk to get places. They walk only to keep their ageing hearts pumping.

We noted many, many chickadees and heard robins peep-peep-peeping. That's what they do when they're bob-bob-bobin' along. They are starting to flock. Last week I heard one singing like spring. It was a beautiful day, and he had a right to be in a good mood.


5 comments:

Administrator said...

If I had my way, I'd live on a few acres. I have heard of associations that won't allow a fricking clothes line in the back yard. To me that's an essential. Faux gentility. Yuck.

Even though you might run into the country boys with a 12 gauge in the front seat of the Ford truck, I think I'd prefer the country - or my bee hive big city apartment.

I like neatness, but it's not everything.

Tell that to your Neighborhood Watch committee.

Richard said...

hee,heee, daliwood.

We've got one of those neighbour rather than neighbourhood watches. I only ever went to the very first meeting, and that was once too often. Ha, ha. Oh, happy daze. :^)

Richard said...

d.f.f,

My tiny garden had it's first Robin visitor today. At leas it's the first one I've caught sight of since last winter.

I love 'em - even though they're such 'cheeky' little buggers.

Elmo said...

Congrat's Chicago. Enjoy!

Administrator said...

Hi, Richard,
Robins here are pigging out on fall berries. Years ago at Christmas time I was walking up Lake Shore Drive (Chicago) and there at Division Street several robins were ensconsed in the teaberry trees. I wish I had had my camera. They will hang around if there weather is mild, and then - pow! - come the first (almost guaranteed) wild storm.

---------

Thanks, Elmo. I will celebrate by eating some good South Side pizza -maybe Home Run Inn or Connie's. And beer, of course. If it were the Cubs I it would be champagne and hot dogs.