09 August 2005

The Grail



From The Bird Guide by Chester A. Reed
copyright 1906, 1909

By now you've heard of the discovery in Arkansas of the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker . For bird people this is revelation in the most religious sense, regardless of theology. It's existence cannot reverse the myriad tragedies being played out in our world, but it is a living memorial to countless lost treasures of nature and a reminder to hold to the good.

There is something in us that yearns for what has been lost. In dreams we find money in the sand or a toy or doll long since forgotten. I have a recurring dream of checking a mailbox I haven't been to in a while, and it's crammed with magazines and letters and even packages from years gone by. In another dream I happen upon objects I hadn't consciously thought about since childhood in some cases, and the people in these dreams are mostly those who have gone on ahead of me. I wake up feeling more whole somehow. It's sad - because the people and things are no longer here - but it says that reunion is possible, that recovery can take place.

When I was young I spent hours and hours studying my mother's bird guides. She was a member of the Audubon Society and was the president of the local chapter for a term. (Someday I should write about her bird watching friends. One lady's name was Hedwig Dilly, and she was from England. She made the most delicious spiced tea.) I remember especially - without going back to jog my memory - the Auk's egg - huge - and a hummingbird's nest - tiny. My favorites were the painted bunting, North America's technicolor specimen, and the saw whet owl, the most adorable, cuddly, sweet looking bird. The avocet was another, and I actually saw six of them in fall migration on the beach at the mouth of the Saint Joseph River.

It breaks my heart to think that people in future generations might be denied the glorious sights I've seen, and my experiences are rather small. Someone is watching out for the Ivory Bill, though. I wish there were a sanctuary for the whole world.

5 comments:

Administrator said...

Hi, Elaine,
I'm like the boy's band in The Music Man - utilizing the Think Method. Reading the instruction manual helps, too.

By all means use this - I think I'll go back and quote from the preface to the little book I scanned for the pic of the ivory bill. Lots of things have changed in 100 years.

Anyway, thanks!

Anonymous said...

For all blogging enthusiasts…here is my symptoms of prostate cancer blog
==
Learn about symptoms of prostate cancer .

Richard said...

Your blog's a delight, cosmic. So refreshingly different. Like an oasis of calm in a sand-stormy desert.

Administrator said...

Thanks, Richard. There are so many good blogs, and they are so much fun - but critically important in this era of processed communications from the "official" media.

Administrator said...

Elaine,
The Blogger template ate most of my "favorites" entries. I haven't tried to fix it yet, but the Bach unaccompanied cello pieces are right up there on my hit parade. We saw YoYo Ma perform the unaccom. sonatas a few years ago at Orchestra Hall (Chicago) A mind altering experience!